If you’re struggling to get a cheap Arduino clone to upload code using your IDE; the chances are that it’s not connecting via the COM port correctly. This maybe caused because your board uses a CH340G serial to usb chip, which Windows doesn’t recognise. Download the driver below or from the manufacturers website (in Chinese). Failing that, you could have bought a board without a bootloader. I’ll write a tutorial as soon as I get a board without one pre-installed.
We’re going to be recreating the sorting hat from Harry Potter using Microsoft Block Editor. Go ahead and create a new project. First decide which Input function you’d like to use to display the Hogwarts Houses. I’ve used the A Button, but this will work with whatever Input method you like.
Create the following:
Click “Item” in Set “Item” and select New variable and name it RandomNumber. This variable will allow you to assign each of the Hogwarts Houses a number, along with pick random 0 to “4”, it’ll cycle through the various Hogwarts Houses you assign later.
We’re going to have to change the “4” to 3 because we have four Hogwarts Houses. Sounds a little silly, why 3?! Well 0 counts too!
If you press the Gear icon on if do it’ll have a little popup. In this popup you can add more to the if do without creating entire new sections. Drag the else if into the if, do this three times. Click the Gear to remove the popup once you are finished.
You’ll need to either duplicate (saves lots of time!) or recreate the RandomNumber = “0” and add them to else if. Change each of the numbers on the end going from 0 to 3. Same with the show string “Ravenclaw”.
You can compile and upload it your BBC micro:bit and find out which house you’re in!
I picked up an Arduino from work and attempted to create a Button Box, and it bloody worked! I found the wiring diagram and code from Kevin Peat’s site. This is a very picture heavy post!
Bought a box, made a layout and got to work with a drill.
The bracket inside was for attaching it to my wheel stand. It came from an Ikea bookcase, its the bracket for attaching it to the wall. #Recycling =P
It’s a bit wonky, but it’ll do!
I started the soldering part by removing every other wire from an IDE cable, so it would leave me only the wires on the same row.
I trimmed the wires I didn’t need. Using an IDE cable gave me something I could hot glue onto inside of the case so I can easily remove the Arduino if it didn’t work/I needed it for another project.
There’s two quarter inch jack sockets on the back for foot pedals, or when I have the time and resources a rally style gear stick =D
And finally! The moment you’ve been waiting for (possibly).
I intend to make a fancier looking one someday, but this was super cheap to make!